Hey guys, I'm still working on the carry beginning guide, as I'm kinda busy at the moment :/ so i decided to post some of the more common acronyms found in LOL and what they mean. I know when i was just starting i had no idea what half these meant. so i think it should help a bit.
- Aoe: Area of Effect, an attack or ability that deals damage to enemy's in an area, damaging everyone in the area, not just a single target.
- AP: Ability Power: A stat commonly found on caster items, Ap increase the damage of most Ability's, if you mouse over an ability, the green number in brackets represents how much damage you're receiving from ability power.
- AS: Attack Speed, how often you can attack in a second, caps at 2.5 attacks per second.
- Aura: A small range Buff that either grants your team stats, or decreases stats from the enemy team.
Brush : The grass found in LOL, it makes you hidden while in it, however you are revealed when you attack or use an offensive ability inside the Brush.
- Buff : Something that increases your stats, typically comes in the form of items, or passive ability's.
- CC :crowd control. Moves that interfere with the other champions actions such as stun, fear, knockbacks/ups, blinds. all of these can be reduced with tenacity, a stat found in the shop.
- CD: Cool down, the length of time you must wait after casting an ability, before you may use that ability again.
- Disable: A Disable is a debuff that usually prevents some kind of action on the player. Stuns, roots, silences are all examples of disables
- DOT: Damage over time, such as poisons and ignite.
- Dps: Damage per second. Also referes to characters who job it is to deal damage (As opposed to support and tanks)
- Feeder: A player who dies constantly to the other team, giving them a huge surplus in gold (dont do this!)
- Fed: Getting many kills off a feeder (do this!)
- Harass: to annoy the enemy with small bursts of damage, prevents the enemy from leaving turret radius, and limits their gold and xp.
- Jungle: to attack neutral creeps inside the jungle, this lets you have 2 solo lanes and increased xp and gold rates it also provides better ganking as the enemy doesn't know where the jungler is.
- Lane: The paths that lead from your base to theirs, they are commonly called Top, Middle, and Bot
- last hit: Getting the very last hit, or killing blow. Getting the last hit will grant you gold that you would otherwise not get, the better you get at last hitting the more powerful you become.
- MR: Magic Resist. Works as armor against magic abilities, reducing the damage on a percentage basis.
- Ms: movement speed
- Neutral creeps: The creep-enemies who live in the jungle
- Passive: An ability which is not activated but helps a character
- Proc: refers to a weapon, item or ability activating with the "Chance on Hit" or "Chance on Use" effect.
- Root:A debuff which prevents any movement by a champion (summoner spells excluded), however they can still attack and use ability's
- Silence: A debuff which prevents any abilities being used by a champion (summoner spells excluded)
- Skillshot: an ability that fires a projectile that can be dodged, skillshots generally do more damage than click target ability's but are much harder to hit.
- Stun : A debuff which prevents any action by a champion (summoner spells excluded)
- Support : Characters who job it is to support other characters: Healers, buffers, etc
- Tank: Character with a lot of HP and likely armor/resistance. Whose job is to initiate battles with the enemy players/turrets as to draw damage onto himself.
- Tp :summoner spell teleport used to traverse the map.
- Ult: ultimate ability. used by pressing the R hotkey.
- Unique: In LoL certain auras/passive are unique, meaning they do not stack.
- B: back, fall back, by pressing the "B" key you start a slow channel that will teleport you back to your
- Care : be careful, they may be coming for you
- Focus: To target a player. Meaning that as a team you all will all focus on a specified hero to kill first.
- Gank : to go (often with more than one player) to try and kill an enemy, often by surprise "lets gank bottom"
- Heal : either the summoner spell, a champion ability, or the act of returning to base to regenerate HP and mana "you should heal"
- Mia: , missing in action. Commonly used to describe when an enemy is missing from a lane and may indicate to the team that a gank may happen.
Oom: out of mana
- Push : to gather up a creep wave and attempt to destroy an enemy tower "I'm going to push bottom"
- QQ : meaning to tell some one to quit, often as a rage quit. Coincidentally depicts a set of crying eyes and has also come to mean "cry more"used by ragers and trolls, don't be one if you can help it... but things happen.
Most credit goes to Members of the LOL forums for compiling the majority of these terms.